Eye injuries can happen when you least expect them — especially in specific professions, or during certain sports and activities. Protecting your eyes in high-risk situations can help prevent injuries and potential vision damage.
Sécurité des yeux
on the job
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports that every day, 2,000 U.S. workers have job-related eye injuries that require medical treatment1.
Safety glasses are necessary in professions like welding or mining, or in environments where bits of material often fly around. Some examples of this debris include wood chips, nails, cement chips, and metal parts and shavings.
Prescription safety glasses are recommended (and often required) for people who need vision correction in industries like carpentry, plumping, electrical work, car repair and landscaping.
EYE SAFETY IN THE
Eye safety at home
Eye injuries can happen, even in the comfort of your home or yard. Keep these tips in mind when doing yardwork, using bleach or cooking with hot oil:
- Read and follow the safety instructions listed on household chemicals, store them securely and never mix chemicals.
- Check your lawn for rocks, toys and other objects before you mow. This helps you avoid getting hit with flying debris.
- If you’re working on a DIY project, make sure to use the right tools and wear safety glasses.
EYE SAFETY IN THE
Don’t forget about protecting your eyes from the sun by wearing sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat. Prolonged exposure to the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays can lead to cataracts and other serious eye problems.
If you’re working or playing outdoors, consider sports sunglasses for durability and a more secure fit. Sunglasses with polarized lenses can reduce glare when driving or spending time on or near the water.
HEALTHY HABITS FOR
- Wear safety glasses when playing active sports.
- Get fitted for custom safety glasses if your job puts your eyes in risky situations.
- Wear sunglasses year-round.
- Teach your kids to wear protective eyewear the same way they would wear a helmet when riding a bike.
- Sécurité des yeux The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). July 2013.
- How blue light affects your eyes, sleep, and health. UC Davis Health. August 2022.
Prendre rendez-vous pour un examen de la vue en 3 étapes faciles
Choisir votre emplacement
Ajouter au calendrier